Reduce Your Risk of Retinal Conditions With Help From Our Poplar Bluff or Sikeston Optometrist
Retinal diseases put your vision at risk, because they often sneak up on you. The early stages of many eye diseases may show no symptoms, but your Poplar Bluff eye doctor can detect these silent eye conditions during an annual exam. Regular visits to your Sikeston optometrist ensure that eye problems are caught in a timely manner, when they are most treatable. Between annual eye care appointments, there are many steps you can take to preserve your eye health and keep your vision as sharp as possible.
Tips to Avoid Eye Diseases from our Poplar Bluff Optometrist
Protect your eye health by taking these important retinal disease prevention tips:
- Eat right: Poor nutrition can affect every part of your body, including your eyes and visual acuity. Include fruit, dark leafy vegetables and fish with omega-3 in your daily diet.
- Prevent eye strain: Eyes can dry out when staring at a screen. Alternate focusing on the far distance (away from computers/devices) every 20 seconds.
- Wear sunglasses: Wearing sunglasses can help you avoid accidents or injury when the sun’s glare is brightest, and you’ll be more comfortable. You’ll perform better, be more effective and have more fun with eyes well shaded from the sun. Blurred vision and even permanent vision loss can result from sun damage when you leave your eyes unprotected.
- Wear a hat: Ideally, wear both hat and sunglasses in the sun. Sunglasses alone may not keep all the damaging UV rays out of your eyes. Remember, reflected sun from wintertime snow, light colored sidewalks or smooth sunlit surfaces can be more damaging than direct sun, since the rays are hitting your eyes.
- Watch your weight: Healthy weight helps avoid eye diseases related to diabetes and other health conditions.
- Do not smoke: Smokers are vulnerable to potentially blinding cataracts, macular degeneration and nerve damage.
- Get a dilated eye examination when recommended by your eye doctor.
Schedule an Appointment with Our Poplar Bluff or Sikeston Optometrist Today!
Schedule your annual eye exam/screening, or get fitted for prescription sunglasses, at Dr. Obermark Eye Health Care. Call us in Sikeston or Poplar Bluff today!